PageCraft BIPOC Scholarship
Next deadline: Apply by June 8th for our next Concept to Pages workshop (starts June 19, 2021)
PageCraft understands the importance of equity and representation not only in front of the camera, but among content creators. It matters who tells the stories.
The PageCraft scholarship is open to Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) writers with financial need. It is funded by our partners at the American Latino Theatre and intended to help a writer participate in our 10-week Concept to Pages online workshop in order to create a new screenplay from the ground up.
Our Concept to Pages workshop currently meets via Zoom on Saturday mornings, 10am-1pm Pacific time. Limited to 8 writers, it provides a supportive space with plenty of individual attention. Scholarship recipients are expected to keep up with weekly homework assignments, ambitious writing targets, and to give and receive feedback in a healthy, collaborative environment. Thirty minutes of “office hour” support are available each week with the workshop leader. Read more about Concept to Pages HERE.
How To Apply:
To apply for the scholarship, write to firstname.lastname@example.org with
a) two 5-page writing samples of your work, and
b) answers to the following:
- Why you are eligible for this BIPOC scholarship? (max 75 words)
- What is a brief description (or logline) of the idea you would like to work on? (max 75 words)
- Why does this story matter to you? Why do you want to write it? (max 100 words)
- What is your favorite piece of writing advice or mentoring that you’ve received? (max 75 words)
- What is a writing note you have received that you disagreed with, and how did you handle it? (max 100 words)
- What is a favorite film or TV show, and why? (max 75 words)
- What would it mean to you to be able to participate in this workshop, and what you hope to get out of it? (max 100 words)
- If you do not receive this scholarship, how will you pursue your writing goals? Would you be able to participate in the workshop if you had to pay the normal registration rate? (max 100 words)
- Scholarships are considered on a rolling basis based on our Concept to Pages workshop schedule. The next deadline is specified at the top of this page. In the rare circumstance that we have insufficient enrollment to run a workshop, we will roll any awarded scholarship over to the next scheduled workshop.
- A limited number of scholarships are available in a calendar year. Funding is at the discretion of the American Latino Theatre.
- Scholarship recipients are expected to participate fully. PageCraft reserves the right to rescind scholarships in the case of non participation, if eligibility is in question, or in the case of abusive or unkind behavior toward others.
- Scholarships are not currently available for our Italy Writing Retreats. We may, in special circumstances, consider scholarship applications to our Writing Is Rewriting program.