Demystifying the Writers Room
Previous 2021 sessions: March 22; May 23
Next session: to be announced
Leader: Liz Hara
Is “staff writer” a post-lockdown goal of yours? Want to get a sense of how things really work in a writers room? Want to practice your story breaking skills?
If you’ve never worked in a writers room before and want to be able to hit the ground running, or if you just want to give yourself a leg up in staffing season, this is the workshop for you.
Join us for valuable skills you’ll need in the room. Emmy winner Liz Hara has been staffed several times, and she’s learned a lot. She will share those lessons with you in this virtual workshop, designed to give you real experience of working in a writers room.
You’ll practice breaking stories for an imaginary three act show, exactly how it’s done in a real writers room. Since your first gig is likely to be for someone else’s show, you’ll learn how to work within someone else’s voice. Since writers rooms are a team sport, you’ll learn how to collaborate on various stages of the creative process to make the most of the story. You’ll avoid pitfalls by learning writers room etiquette and how to gauge the room to ensure you’re a valued member of the team.
You’ll come away with some new story skills that you’ll be able to use in any phase of your writing. And you’ll gain insights and understanding that will help you make the most of your writing room opportunity.
Registration: This workshop is limited to 8 participants. Some screenwriting experience or training is recommended. Alumni of PageCraft’s Italy retreats, Concept to Pages workshop, or Writing is Rewriting workshop are entitled to a 10% discount.
Registration will open when we have announced our next session, and will by via PayPal. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest; this will help us with scheduling.
- We will email registered participants 5 to 7 days before the workshop is scheduled to take place and a reminder the morning of the workshop.
- If you do not see the email (please check your spam folder), or if you would prefer that we email you at a different address from the one you used to make payment, get in touch with us at email@example.com. After the cancellation deadline, we will not be able to accept a lost or overlooked email as a reason for a refund.
- Cancellation Policy: You are entitled to a refund of your registration price minus 5% if you cancel 72 hours or more in advance of the workshop. We will not be able to provide refunds after that time.
- Anyone who registers at the alumni rate without being eligible for that discount will be asked to upgrade to the full rate. Otherwise, the registration will be subject to cancellation and refund (minus 5 percent).
- PageCraft is not responsible for other costs incurred by participants or prospective participants.