Writers, the Law & the Hero’s Journey
Leader: Michèle Martell
Location: Zoom (live and interactive)
Date: Wednesday, October 11, 2023; 5pm Pacific Time
- Need help navigating the tricky legal waters of the film & media landscape?
- Wish that you had some perspective on what is “normal” for a deal?
- Struggling to know when to say yes, when to negotiate, and when to walk away?
So many participants had questions in this workshop last autumn that we decided to expand the scope and build in more opportunities for participant reflection, questions, and engagement.
Michèle Martell, longtime entertainment attorney, is here to give you the legal lowdown and demystify the process and the legal issues in creative projects—and most importantly, what you can do about them.
Michèle will walk you through the life cycle of a creative project, from creation to evergreen brand, with a focus on the main issues that are likely to pop up along your project’s Hero’s Journey.
Get clarity on protecting your material, set realistic and powerful expectations for deal making, and learn how to position yourself for long-term success.
Registration: CLICK HERE
- This workshop will not be recorded. This is to enable frank, open discussion.
- Registration numbers are capped.
- We will email registered participants a reminder the morning of the workshop.
- If you have any questions or trouble registering, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Michèle Martell is an entertainment and intellectual property attorney and entrepreneur who has provided business guidance and legal insight to major brands including the Muppets, the WWE, Sony, Crayola, Hasbro, Samsung, and The Saturday Evening Post. She has helped develop and produce thousands of hours of episodic content and hundreds of feature films. Michèle supports creators, entrepreneurs, artists and visionaries launch, build and protect their businesses with insightful, practical and well-informed legal guidance.
After helping launch the WWE’s dedicated children’s media division, Michèle started her business & legal consultancy, Martell Media House PLLC, in Austin TX, where she represents companies and creators across the ecosystem of entertainment, technology, and consumer products.
She serves as the Chair of the Entertainment and Sports Law section of the Austin Bar Association, the Programming Chair for Women in Toys, Entertainment & Licensing, Co-Chair of the Austin Chapter of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), and is on the Advisory Board for Women in Film/TV-Austin.