Scholarship for California Retreat
Application deadline: Our 2023 deadline has passed. Please check back for further announcements.
PageCraft understands the importance of equity and representation not only in front of the camera, but among content creators. It matters who tells the stories.
This scholarship is designed to support women, non-binary, and underrepresented writers with financial need. Funded by our partners at Coven Film Festival, it is intended to help writers participate in our week-long California Writing Retreat. Our deadline has passed to apply for our 2023 retreat, but we hope to offer this scholarship again in the future.
Our California Writing Retreat is a residential retreat in Invernessa, California, about an hour north of San Francisco. The retreat is designed to help writers rewrite or polish an existing script, and we will also consider motivated writers who already have a working outline and are ready to jump into pages. Limited to 10 participants, the retreat provides a supportive space with plenty of individual attention. Scholarship recipients are expected to keep up with homework assignments, ambitious writing targets, and to give and receive feedback in a healthy, collaborative environment.
Recipients of the scholarship receive everything covered by the registration fee, but are responsible for travel to Inverness and meals (apart from the opening and closing dinners). If you are unable to participate without help for travel and subsistence, please note that in your application.
How To Apply:
When we are able to offer this scholarship again, we will ask you to answer a few questions and provide two 5-page writing samples via SurveyMonkey. For reference, the questions are listed below. Please sign up for our mailing list or contact us for further information.
- Why you are eligible for this scholarship? (max 75 words)
- What is a brief description (or logline) of the story you would like to work on? (max 75 words)
- Why does this story matter to you? Why do you want to write it? (max 100 words)
- What is your screenwriting experience? (max 100 words)
- What is your favorite piece of writing advice or mentoring that you’ve received? (max 75 words)
- What is a writing note you have received that you disagreed with, and how did you handle it? (max 100 words)
- What is a favorite film or TV show, and why? (max 75 words)
- What do you hope to get out of participating in this retreat? (max 100 words)
- Have you ever had a film at the Coven Film Festival, and if so, which one(s)?
- Would you like to request a stipend for food and travel? Please describe your needs and what you are able to cover yourself. (max 100 words)
- If you do not receive this scholarship, how will you pursue your writing goals? (max 100 words)
- How did you hear about PageCraft and this scholarship?
- Funding for scholarships and funding is at the discretion of Coven Film Festival and PageCraft.
- Scholarship recipients are expected to participate fully. PageCraft reserves the right to rescind scholarships and remove participants from the workshop in the case of non participation, if eligibility is in question, or in the case of abusive or unkind behavior toward others. In such an event, PageCraft and Coven Film Festival are not responsible for any costs incurred by participants.
- All terms and conditions specified for the California Retreat apply.