Concept to Pages Workshop
Location: online (via Zoom)
Current dates: Mar. 12 – May 14, 2022, Saturdays 2pm-5pm Pacific Time
Next dates: June 4 – August 13, 2022; Saturdays 10am-1pm Pacific Time (no session July 2)
Leader: Heidi Hornbacher
We’ve adapted our long-running Italy screenwriting retreat into a once-a-week online program to fit busy schedules. This workshop is for writers of all levels who want a supportive framework in which to take a story idea for television or film from concept to first draft and beyond.
Our method is to work on your story from the inside out. Instead of starting on pages right away, we take time to understand exactly who your characters are, and map out their journeys. Then we’ll look at your story structure and outline your scenes, making sure that all are dynamic and necessary to the story. Once you get to pages, you will find that they flow more easily because of all the foundational work you’ve done to understand your story structure and character arcs.
Each session will focus on a distinct set of screenwriting principles, including character design, story structure, scene construction, and dialog. We mix mini-lectures, coaching, exercises, and targeted feedback in order to empower writers to produce their best work. Between sessions, we offer 1-to-1 time to help you with any individual questions or issues (a half hour each week). The result is a comprehensive course delivering the hows and whys of screenwriting technique.
The support doesn’t end there. After the workshop is over, you may take advantage of a Script Consultation for 50% off and of our affordable Alumni Drop-In sessions, designed especially for those who need a little extra time to finish their draft.
Scholarships are available to BIPOC writers with financial need. The deadline to apply for a Summer 2022 scholarship is May 16, 2022. Learn more HERE.
A 15% discount applies for alumni of PageCraft’s Italy retreats, of a previous Concept to Pages workshop, or of our Writing is Rewriting workshop.
How to Apply: If you are interested, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a 5-page writing sample and brief answers to the questions listed below. We will then schedule a conversation with you, so we can discuss your interest and background. We will invoice participants through PayPal.
- What is your screenwriting or storytelling experience? (max 75 words)
- What is a brief description or logline of the script you would like to rewrite? (max 75 words)
- Why does this story matter to you? Why do you want to write it? (max 75 words)
- What is your favorite piece of writing advice or mentoring that you’ve received? (max 75 words)
- What is a writing note you have received that you disagreed with, and how did you handle it? (max 75 words)
- Cancellation Policy: 72 hours before the workshop begins, 20% of the registration fee becomes nonrefundable. If you must withdraw after that point, we will refund a pro-rated amount based on the number of sessions remaining, divided by the registration fee, net of the nonrefundable 20 percent. No refunds will be made if you cancel after the penultimate session.
- PageCraft reserves the right to refuse service or remove participants from the workshop for any reason, including abusive or unkind behavior toward others.
- Other than the registration fee (per the terms of our cancellation policy), PageCraft is not responsible for costs incurred by participants or prospective participants.
- For the discounted script consultation, scripts must be submitted within 2 months of the final workshop session, and it must be a version of the script created or rewritten during the workshop. Otherwise normal rates apply.