Concept to Pages Workshop
Time & Location: Saturdays 10am-1pm Pacific Time, online on Zoom
Winter dates: January 6 – March 16, 2024 (no session Jan 20)
Spring Alumni-Only Session: March 23 – May 11, 2024
Leader: Heidi Hornbacher
This workshop is for screenwriters of all levels who want a supportive framework in which to take a story idea for television or film from concept to first draft and beyond.
Our method is to work on your story from the inside out. Instead of starting on pages right away, we take time to understand exactly who your characters are, and map out their journeys. Then we’ll look at your story structure and outline your scenes, making sure that all are dynamic and necessary to the story. Once you get to pages, you will find that they flow more easily because of all the foundational work you’ve done to understand your story structure and character arcs.
Each session will focus on a distinct set of screenwriting principles, including character design, story structure, scene construction, and dialog. We mix mini-lectures, coaching, exercises, and targeted feedback in order to empower writers to produce their best work. Between sessions, we offer 1-to-1 time to help you with any individual questions or issues (a half hour each week). The result is a comprehensive course delivering the hows and whys of screenwriting technique.
The support doesn’t end there. When the workshop ends, you have two months to take advantage of a Script Consultation for 50% off. You also become eligible for our affordable Alumni Drop-In sessions, designed especially for those who need a little extra time to finish their draft. Your first two sessions are included in the registration fee, provided they are used within two months.
Price: $690 (10 weeks); Spring Alumni-Only Session: $560 (8 weeks)
- Scholarships are available to BIPOC writers with financial need. The next application deadline, which is for the Summer 2024 workshop, will be announced soon. Learn more HERE.
- A 10% discount applies for alumni of PageCraft’s Italy retreats or of a previous Concept to Pages workshop. This discount does not apply to the alumni-only session.
How to Apply: If you are interested, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. First-time applicants should include a 5-page writing sample and brief answers to the questions listed below. We will then schedule a conversation with you, so we can discuss your interest and background. We will invoice participants through PayPal.
- What is your screenwriting or storytelling experience? (max 75 words)
- What is a brief description or logline of the script you would like to rewrite? (max 75 words)
- Why does this story matter to you? Why do you want to write it? (max 75 words)
- What is your favorite piece of writing advice or mentoring that you’ve received? (max 75 words)
- What is a writing note you have received that you disagreed with, and how did you handle it? (max 75 words)
- How did you hear about PageCraft?