ORVIETO RETREAT: REGISTRATION
NEXT DATES: Sunday, May 26 – Saturday, June 8, 2024
Shared room discount: −$400 per participant (requires two participants)
Additional cost for non-participating spouse or partner (with whom you share a room): $650
Discount for previous participants, Italian retreats: −$400*
Discount for previous participants, L.A. & online workshops: −$200*
Notes: Previous participant discounts are not cumulative; you are eligible for only one.
Early registration discount; apply by December 31, 2023: −$400
Early registration discount: apply by January 31, 2024: −$200
Notes: Early registration discounts are not cumulative; you are eligible for only one. The discount requires that you apply by the stated date and that you make a $1,000 deposit upon confirmation of admission.
The registration covers:
- Coaching, mentoring & tuition (see PROGRAM information).
- 13 nights lodging at Istituto San Lodovico (see the VENUE).
- 13 continental breakfasts.
- Welcome dinner and farewell dinner.
- Key to the City (ticket package for Orvieto’s sights and museums)
- Pickup and dropoff at the Orvieto train station, if required.
In PDF format, please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org the following materials.
- a statement of purpose (max 100 words) describing what you want from this program;
- a brief writing resume (max 1 page);
- the first 5 pages of a screenplay you’ve written;
- a brief description (max 200 words) of the writing project you wish to work on, and why you want to write it.
Once we review your application, we will schedule an informal interview.
In addition, we require:
- $50 deposit sent via PayPal (see payment button below) – refunded if we are not able to confirm admission.
- $1,000 deposit upon admission.
- 50% deposit by April 1, 2024, or upon admission (whichever is later).
- Balance May 6, 2024 (regardless of date of admission).
- Signature of a standard liability waiver (to be provided later) by May 16, 2024.
METHOD OF PAYMENT:
Payments are by PayPal. If you wish to use a credit card, you can do so through PayPal. For PayPal payments from outside the United States, we require a surcharge equal to 2% of the payment amount. For example, you would add $20 to a $1000 payment, for a total of $1020. The surcharge is not required on your initial $50 deposit.
For U.S. students we can also arrange to accept checks or money orders. For international students, we can arrange wire transfers, but we ask that students cover the fees.
- On/before March 1, 2024: $50 is non refundable; refund of payments in excess.
- On/before April 1, 2024: $250 is non refundable; refund of payments in excess.
- On/before May 6, 2024: $750 is non refundable; refund of payments in excess.
- No refund after May 6, 2024. We will offer PageCraft credits where possible (e.g., if we are able to recover costs for lodging; if we are able to replace you with a qualified applicant).
This is a small retreat that runs on a tight budget with up-front costs, which makes refunds for late cancellations difficult. Please see about travel or personal insurance to cover illnesses and emergencies. Any questions, please talk to us.
All rooms are en suite. Prices are based on single rooms.
If two participating writers are willing to share a room, each participant will receive a $400 discount on their registration.
The cost of bringing a spouse or partner who will share your room but not participate in the retreat is an additional $650. Your partner will receive a Key to the City and be welcome in our group activities, like the welcome and farewell dinners. The retreat is not open to non-participating friends/acquaintances.
If you require special accommodations, please contact us. If for some reason we cannot meet your needs, we will help you explore alternatives through AirBnB or at other Orvieto hotels, including the Hotel Palazzo Piccolomini next door, and reduce your registration rate by $600.
OTHER IMPORTANT NOTES:
It is our belief that great writing groups make great progress. We endeavor to ensure that each retreat is filled with adaptable, capable writers who can have a positive effect on one another. We therefore reserve the right to refuse any applicant for any reason, and we expect all participants to adhere to our Code of Conduct.
Admissions are rolling. Once courses are full, we will maintain a waiting list. Failure to meet any of the deadlines listed above may be construed as cancellation.
Students may change the writing project they plan to work on, but they must agree on the switch with the retreat leader.
Please note that PageCraft leaders are working writers. It has not yet happened, but there is always the possibility that a leader may be pulled away unavoidably due to the demands of an employer or a creative project. In such an event, we will make every effort to bring in a qualified replacement.
If we must cancel a workshop for any reason, we will refund all money paid to us. We suggest not purchasing airline tickets until we confirm all details of the program with you. We are not responsible for air fares or other costs incurred by prospective students. Please look into travel insurance.
For any applicants with impaired mobility, it’s important to note that Italian hill towns like Orvieto are challenging. There are cobblestones, uneven steps, and medieval buildings. Rarely do you find ramps. There are elevators at our host venue, but they are very small and not step free. Additionally, many of our optional group outings involve walking.
A $50 deposit must accompany your application. The deposit is non refundable if we confirm admission, but will be refunded in full if we cannot. (Any problems with the button below? Contact us and we’ll sort it out.)